It's Officially Summer! AND the International Day of Yoga! In honor of these two special events, we are offering some sequences for you to enjoy on International Yoga Day, as well as a discount in our download store from today until the end of June!
Summer is the hottest season of the year. This is evident, not only in the external temperatures. (We are on track for another record-breaking year of extremely high temperatures!) But it can also be evident in our internal environment. Heat can show up as inflammation in our joints, muscles, skin and internal organs. It can also show up as anger, frustration and irritability. If you want to avoid some of these uncomfortable physical and emotional issues try some of the following ways to keep cool this summer:
1. Enjoy Cooling Foods - Because of the fiery external temperatures, our internal digestive fire, known as Agni, disperses so we tend to have less appetite during this time and it is especially recommended to eat smaller, lighter meals throughout the day. Luckily, Mother Nature provides us with ample bounty during this time of year. Enjoy cooling foods like cucumber, watermelon, summer squash, snap peas, cherries, blueberries, strawberries and peaches. Yum! Check out one of our favorite summer recipes below.
2. Try cooling teas like mint, fennel, lemon balm, lavender or rose. Avoid caffeinated teas or coffee, which can be heating and irritating and opt for some of these herbal variations which are also in season this time of year. The scents of these herbs are calming and cooling as well, so inhale deeply as you harvest and prepare your herbal infusion.
3. In addition to herbal teas, you can enjoy cooling herbs in your meals too, like cilantro, coriander, parsley, basil, and lime.
4. Cool down with your yoga practice. Opt for slower moving practices this time of year. It is easy to get overheated and overdue it this time of year. Try one of our recommended yoga sequences which feature cooler poses like forwards bends and inversions. Also, check out some of our latest classes with Senior Teacher, John Schumacher.
5. Meditate and Practice Pranayama! If you have not already started meditating or practicing pranayama, now is a great time to start. Meditation practices focused on compassion, gratitude and surrender have a quieting, cooling effect on the mind and body. Pranayama practices such as sitali and viloma can also have a quieting, calming effect as well.
6. Last, but certainly not least, Find Shade and Stay Hydrated! The sun is much closer to us at this time of year and it is easy to forget the power of the sun to burn and dehydrate. Stay conscious and avoid the sun during the hottest time of day, also the pitta (fire) time of day, 10am - 2pm, and drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water/day. (For example, if you weigh 150 pounds, try to drink 75 ounces of water per day).
We hope you enjoy these tips and don't forget to enjoy your discount in Our Download Store for the next 10 days! Enter summer17 at Checkout.
Enjoy Cooling Summer Sequences...The first sequence is a cool summer sequence meant to clear and tonify your heart and small intestine meridians (energy channels). View and practice this intermediate sequence now! The second sequence comes from the Ramamani Iyengar Yoga Institute in Pune, India. Consider practicing along with a group of friends or bring these sequences to classes you teach to celebrate International Yoga Day, June 21st!
New Video Download: Yoga for the Asymmetric Pelvis - Certified Yoga Therapist and Author Lillah Schwartz brings the benefits of her 30 years training with yoga experts, like BKS Iyengar, Aadil Palkhivala and Eric Small. Lillah has released a third video in her collection of therapeutic yoga videos and we are excited to release it! Watch a clip and download now! Remember to use coupon code summer17 at checkout.
New Downloads: Summer Session with John Schumacher - Listen to weekly recorded live yoga classes with Senior Iyengar Yoga Teacher. More previously unreleased recorded Levels II, II-III, III and Pranayama IV classes are available now. Download John's current collection of classes Now! Remember to use coupon code summer17 at checkout.
New Recordings with Kofi Busia! All Levels, Intermediate and Pranayama classes as well as a rare Teacher's Workshop from Beloved Yoga Teacher, Kofi Busia are Now Available! Download the classes individually or save 20% and download the entire workshop! We also released some FREE videos from the workshop, too! Check Out The New Recordings With Kofi Now! Remember to use coupon code summer17 at checkout.
Check Out Hundreds of Downloads in Our Store and Enjoy a 10% Discount Now Until the end of June! Download Classes with Internationally Renowned Teachers like Erich Schiffmann, Audrey Lappa, Tim Miller, Kino MacGregor, Elise Miller, Bobby Clennell and More! Visit our Download Store and enter summer17 at checkout Now!
Check Out Our Video Project with IYASE! Our Latest Video is Juliana Fair, a Senior Intermediate I Iyengar Yoga Teacher, teaching Niralamba Sarvangasana or Unsupported Shoulderstand! Watch this video and Check Out the Project's Growing Collection of Videos Now!